Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Aquarium moratorium

It is good to be writing again after a few days rest...actually not really rest, more like a few days of catching up with lectures, tutorials, revision classes and church activities (the subject of my next post - Kids Games!) and oh yes, recovering from the flu, human flu mind you. Hehe.

I have got some news to share, and yes it concerns an aquarium, or intended aquarium, mine or will be mine eventually.

I have for the longest time ... this year .. wanted to get an aquarium. Every now and then before this, I toyed with the idea of getting a little place for fish to be objects of art and objects of 'petly' affection, but always came to the conclusion not in favour of getting an aquarium because:

(i) my track record of successfully keeping aquaria was nothing to shout about, and
(ii) time, space and money.

So, for some time this year, ever since the interest was ignited anew, I have been tirelessly surfing the internet for aquarium care, set up and the various interlacing topics and of course the different type of fish (mostly goldfish) and browsing and reading books at bookshops about the topic. I think I have become, haha, quite the fish enthusiast (well not exactly a pro - I have much to learn, but if I were a green (raw) before I started, I should now be quite red (ripening well). Having also made several visits to pet shops big and small in KL and PJ, I have come to a few conclusions about fish rearing:

(i) it is costly,
(ii) it is a delicate affair, as fish are living organisms and deserve care and attention, and
(iii) oh so fun.

As for (i), the cost of an averagely good aquarium should be in the region of low to mid hundreds. I saw one that caught my eye at a local pet shop in Taman Mayang (yup, the really big one) selling for RM115 (with pump) and another at RM 138 (with pump) but larger. That was not inclusive of the stand, which is needed if I prefer my aquarium to remain standing. Good foundational support is also crucial for the fish you know?

As a rule of thumb, consider first the budget, and within that budget, get the largest aquarium. Like most beginners, I was holding the mistaken thought that the smaller the aquarium is, the better. Wrong (can you hear the buzzer?). It is less fatal to the fish for mistakes to be made by first timers or beginners in a larger aquarium. Also since oxygen exchange takes place on the surface, a larger surface space is better. Fish also need oxygen, right? So wide as opposed to long/high tanks are more appropriate. See, knowledge demonstrated. :) (Where is my gold badge?). Getting back to the lecture, oppss... I mean my post, hehe, I decided on the larger. Oh by the way, a minimum for beginners should be a 10 gallon tank or more. The larger contained about 11 plus gallons. So, the aquarium plus stand alone (RM100) would cost me about RM238. Oh brother where art the fish?

Ok, I thought about it and decided not to rush into it. I would save RM100 a month to accommodate this hobby. Oh but it would take ages I thought...at least 3 months.

The most pleasant surprise came on my birthday. Some of my ministry mates and good church friends got together and collected some money to help me on my way to getting my aquarium. Wow, does God grant us the desires of our hearts or what?

Delight yourself in the LORD, and He will give you the desires of your heart (Psalm 37:4).

Thank You Lord Jesus for the means to start this hobby. All praise to You Father.
Thanks guys for helping me start: Yoke Kheng, Christine (and Seng Chor), Yung Ling, Sahaya, Moh Nee. I sincerely appreciate it. God bless you all.

So now I have to use the money wisely (a wise steward of the Lord's things is truly wise) and be ready to be a pet proprietor. Wheeee.

The aquarium moratorium is coming to its end. :) I will put up pictures as soon as I start. Keep posted.

God bless you all.

6 comments:

Ritz said...

come visit Pudu... you can find cheap aquarium box here! Gosh... huish juer mar... no need so serious lar

Ken said...

Haha, good to hear from you again. Hope you find your new chambering master.

Fred, which blogspot do you use more often?

Ritz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ritz said...

I'm using msn space...
blogger was my first blog but back then blogging was not that popular so I gave it up... recently started blogging again using MSN Space as I find it easier to use and even learned a few html code...

adri-enne said...

Used to rear fish once.. After it committed suicide; (I was in KDU & my dad & bro aint s reliable s i hope they'll b) d aquarium's breeding guppies & algae now. I aint sure if they still wan it.

Rearing fishes aint half as nice as eating them. hehe. no , i dun eat goldfishes.

hehehe i silently agree with thewallah. :P

nascaremperor said...

:)....go ahead ken with the fishy plan:D...ah...using KDu time to surf interet for aquarium;D...ahaks.kidding...great to cya online....