Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Inspired Student


It is really quite the ironic title. The Inspired Educator becomes an inspired student.

Come to think of it, I wonder why I had not considered it as an appropriate title before this. Haha. Actually it was mentioned to me via e mail by Matt (thanks for the idea, I am making it my idea now hahaha. So all rights reserved, mind you. Hahah. Kidding. Hey, thanks bro). So let me tell you how I am becoming, in addition to an inspired educator, an inspired student.

If you have read my previous post or if I have mentioned it to you personally, you would be aware that I am now enrolled in University Malaya as a student towards achieving the title of Legum Magister (or Masters in Law; LLM). I graduated in 1998 with a Legum Baccalaureus (LLB degree) and subsequently attained my Certificate in Legal Practice a year later ... which would mean that it has been 7 years since I did any legal studies (wow that is some time). Yes I have aged I know, haha, albeit very distinguishedly (hahahahaha).

All the same, the LLM in UM is offered in three distinct ways: through dissertation, through coursework and a mixture of both. I opted for coursework (exams, assignments, seminars and lectures) since I am working and mostly because I am most used to studying like that. For the LLM through coursework, students have to pass 6 subjects within the maximum time frame of 5 years. I have, after prayer and talking it over with my parents and family, some church leaders and friends, decided to do it over a leisurely (I think) course of 3 years; being two subjects per year. This year I am registered for (i) Employment Law and (ii) Copyright Law. So far, so good. The lecturers (both very experienced academics in their fields (Drs and Profs) and one of them being the Dean of the Law Faculty) have made a good first impression.

Suddenly being a student again seems overwhelming, what with me trying to juggle all of my activities and hats, but the good thing is that I am actually looking forward to becoming a student again. I pray to be not just a student, but one that will do my best to glorify the Lord Jesus, because I know in my heart that He has put me in UM for a reason. Lord Jesus inspire me.

That's my post for now. My classes are from 5.30pm to 8.30pm every Monday and Tuesday. Pray for me brethren and friends as I take the first steps to becoming an inspired student and eventually an even more inspired educator.

I bless you God.

God bless you all ... and UM. :)

4 comments:

adri-enne said...

enjoy classes. n get d taste of ur own medicine?

Ken said...

Haha. Yes, it is rather weird being lectured. But now my responsibility is to study ... oklah, what to do?

God bless you.

Alabaster box said...

God has blessed you and will continue to bless you. I know the requirements will be hard but when you do it for God and deep in your heart it's your passion... you'll be able to conquer it all. God bless you...

Ken said...

Ella,

Those are very encouraging words.

Salamat po, maraming salamat po.

Pagpalain ka ng Diyos.