Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Mighty Ducks ...or something like it

Copa IBA anyone? (That is Copa I-B-A, not sure why everyone calls it 'iba'). Maybe its me.

Anyhow, how many of you have watched The Mighty Ducks?

Actually I have yet to watch the whole thing myself, but that is not important. What is important is that the movie tells about a group of underachieving kids who want to excel in ice hockey and they have this inspirational coach that helps them along the way (hehheh). Knowing Disney movies, you can guess the end loh. They overcome odds, they triumph and they are the paragon of sportsmanship. I think lah ... hey I told you I have yet to watch the movie ...

Anyway, how does this tie in with Copa IBA? Every year, the Inter Brethren Assemblies (a partnership of Brethren churches) organises this sporting event, and this year is no different. They usually have a few games like Captainball, football and some newbies like Floorball (BUC rocks) and this year, Ultimate Frisbee, where in all the members (or most of them) send teams to 'battle it out' on the field. It is a day of full fledged action (the players going for glory), drama (injuries and the like) and ultimately triumph. (But let's not forget that we do all this for Jesus Christ's glory and in the name of fellowship lah. Different churches uniting in sport.)

Bringing you back to the topic, this year, different from previous years, we have a specially crafted role of 'Team Manager'. A team manager is unlike a coach. He or she (oklah, for 'chivalry's sake' haha) she or he will take charge of a team and be the person to encourage and foster good relations between the team players, working closely with the Team Captain and the Chief Team Manager. Sort of like a 'big brother or sister' (kuyas or ates). Our most important role though, is to model our Saviour Jesus Christ for the younger ones, and hopefully, bring them into His Kingdom.

I have the honour of being named a team manager this year for one of our floorball teams, under our able captain, one Ho Ming Yue, esq. It is a huge responsibility, but nonetheless, I am up to the challenge. Bring it on. Woo hoo. My team, my 'Mighty Ducks' comprises 6-7 young players (early teens), not very far removed from me in terms of age (kindly stop laughing now), so I think I should have no problems (God give me the strength and the grace) establishing friendships with them. To God be all the glory.

Copa IBA, make way for the 'Mighty Ducks'.

More updates to come.

I bless you God.

God bless the players, the team and you.

4 comments:

Mich said...

kennaayy! you have got to help me out with this blooing stuff! i dunno how to handle it. i mean...how'd you get your chat box? and your listings? and how on earth did you get a title for each post? waah! i look up to you lecturer...bail me outta this misery :P

Ken said...

:) Hold your horses young lady ...
hehe.
I can help you but I may have to show you how to do it. It is all about modifying your template.

Will see what I can do.

Unknown said...

haha, lol, michelle's in the blogging world now? wow, tht's another one caught in it's net!! haha, mighty ducks kononnya lah KENNY!

Ken said...

En: Mighty Ducks Yayy!