Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Tired Educator

From inspired to tired. Haha. Oh well ...

It has been a busy two to three weeks since the new semester began. A semester of using 'technology' to teach (KDU being a smart school), a semester of climbing stairs or waiting for elevators, a semester of getting through to new classes of students, the smallest being 7 pupils, the largest 50 plus (whew) a semester of reading to get updated with the latest in the technical world of Company Law and the enigmatic world of Equity and Trusts Law. Woo Hoo, whattajob. Also a semester of my continuing education at University Malaya (and spending oodles of time at the library (7 plus pm to closing time, no less)). What's an educator to do?

New challenges demand new solutions to overcome them, and I am more than up to the task, with the Lord Jesus being my strength and my wisdom. Amen.

Let me tell you about my classes.

University of Tasmania (twinning programme): Equity and Trusts Law

Small-ish groups, two groups (sems 5 and 6), with 7 returning students and 11 new ones. Classes are cosy, discussions are more intimate (interactive wiselah), students are generally more responsive and attentive. I enjoy lecturing Equity and Trusts anyway. This is in stark contrast to when I was a student and I was 'just getting by' in Equity. Haha. What a difference, um, a few years can make. :)

Oxford Brookes University (twinning programme)/ University of London (external programme): Equity and Trusts Law, Company Law

And then there were ... 50 plus. Wow.

This is the biggest among my group of students since I started with KDU. The general atmosphere is or can be pretty chaotic. Haha. Students come in at times ranging from early, to on time to 15 minutes late and beyond (to infinity and ... nevermind haha). When I lecture, I can see one or two students chatting and laughing behind ... and I stop and I sit. Haha. Suddenly the atmosphere changes from para silence to a lot of hushing and then silence. Then I continue. Oh the life of a lecturer who does not scold. I prefer not to scold as I treat them as adults and really do not see the point in scolding people in my age group (yes yes, I am still in my 20s). I reach out to youth better by relating to them. Although I must say I have been tempted to scold. Haha.

The students range from really attentive and inquisitive to those who listen and are silent to the few that are in a world by themselves.

The best part are my (almost) daily quizzes: trivia time. Yayy. Pin drop silence. Woosh, you could hear people breathing ... ok, that is too much, but very quiet. What happened to those back benchers? Fun fun.

All in all, that is how my term starts: slightly awkward at first in relating to new students but by the end, when we are familiar with each other, fellowship and meals and etc.

Lectures

I lecture a maximum of 5 hours a day, and most during the middle of the day (from 10 to 5 even). This semester I have 18 hours per week. I used to have 27. Whoa.

Thankfully no weekend classes. Still have to come in though, 2-3 times a month.

The Thankful Educator

Regardless of the time (or lack of it), new faces and new challenges, I enjoy teaching very much and I feel personally it is one of the best ways to reach out to oikos. :)

Lord Jesus be glorified.

God bless you all.

No comments: